Western Grand believes there are ten important questions you should have answered before you select your next home inspector.
1. What does your inspection cover? See our list of Inspection services and pricing.
The inspector should ensure that their inspection and inspection report will meet all applicable requirements in your state if applicable and will comply with a well-recognized standard of practice and code of ethics. You should be able to request and see a copy of these items ahead of time and ask any questions you may have. If there are any areas you want to make sure are inspected, be sure to identify them upfront.
2. How long have you been practicing in the home inspection profession and are you licensed?
We have been in the inspection and construction business for over 15 years and we are licensed by the State of Oklahoma. See our list of qualifications.
3. Are you specifically experienced in residential inspection?
Related experience in construction or engineering is helpful, but is no substitute for training and experience in the unique discipline of home inspection. If the inspection is for a commercial property, then this should be asked about as well.
4. Do you offer to do repairs or improvements based on the inspection?
No as this would be a conflict of interest per our inspection ethics and standards of practice.
5. How long will the inspection take?
We realize your time is valuable but we also want to make sure we provide you with the upmost quality home inspection. The average on-site inspection time for a single inspector is 2 to 4 hours depending on the condition and size of the property. Anything significantly less may not be enough time to perform a thorough inspection. Additional inspectors may be brought in for very large properties and buildings.
6. How much will it cost?
Our home inspections start at $199, please see our home inspection pricing for more information.
7. What type of inspection report do you provide and how long will it take to receive the report?
See our sample reports and determine whether or not you can understand the inspector’s reporting style and if the time parameters fulfill your needs. Our inspectors provide their full report within 24 hours of the inspection.
8. Will I be able to attend the inspection?
This is a valuable educational opportunity, and you are strongly encouraged to attend the inspection. Never pass up this opportunity to see your prospective home through the eyes of an expert.
9. Do you maintain membership in a professional home inspector association?
There are many state and national associations for home inspectors. Request to see their membership ID, and perform whatever due diligence you deem appropriate. All our home inspectors are certified by the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors and licensed in the state they inspect in.
10. Do you participate in continuing education programs to keep your expertise up to date?
One can never know it all, and the inspector’s commitment to continuing education is a good measure of his or her professionalism and service to the consumer. This is especially important in cases where the home is much older or includes unique elements requiring additional or updated training.